Monday 18 June 2012

Oh My Goodness, I'm Back!

Well... like every time I try to get stuck into any sort of language training, I get side-tracked by a tonne of other stuff.

But I'm back now... after I don't know how long.  Things got very busy and French fell by the wayside - as it seems to every time I try to self-study.  i clearly need much more discipline.

On the bright side, I've found a new free French programme on the inter-webs.  It's not very much like livemocha.com at all.  For starters, there's no social element, so there's less pressure.  I get to fail in private.  Secondly, you learn to conjugate verbs in a more school like setting (there are tables you can bring up for conjugations every time a new verb is introduced).  Thirdly, it mixes writing, speaking, reading and translating up all into one exercise.  That way, everything gets equal attention... you can't fake your way through.  And last but not least, it teaches you more than just conversational French.  You learn the basics - the very basics - right from the off.  It's actually more helpful for someone like myself who needs that foundation (else I feel hopelessly lost and overwhelmed).

The site is doulingo.com, and its mascot is an owl (unoriginally).  At the moment, it's French section is only in Beta testing (I managed to score an invite AND I have two to hand out - if you want one, let me know).  You have to apply to get in on the beta testing.  Currently, Spanish and German are offered fully tested for your learning pleasure.

It's actually a great deal of fun.  The programme sends you daily reminders to practice.  I skipped two days this week (I started on Friday, so that's my weekly start).  On the second day, the message Duolingo sent me read:

You made the owl cry.
To keep the owl happy you should practice regularly.

And I actually went... 'Oh!  Poor owl!'

I might be slightly suggestible...

So I can safely say that my reading and comprehension are well and truly above my ability to actually write and speak.  There's just something about trying to form sentences on my own that's incredibly difficult for me.  So, in order to help with this, I will be trying very hard to engage in more French conversations.  And listen to more French things.  Like radio... or movies... or something...

I have no idea when my next update will be.  For now, I'll leave you with this sobering (pun intended) thought (you'll get it after you read and translate what's to follow.  Promise):

J'aime le vin rouge.

Yeah.... I'm not much good at jokes...

Á bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments and discussions, but keep it civil please.